Lily Wolf Word's Pages
- About Lily Wolf Words
- Writing Bio
- Im Not Weird, I Have SPD
- Don't Rush Me
- Dark Water
- Blackbird Flies
- Not Just Spirited
- White Elephants
- Just Shut Up and Drive
- Passing Loop (Not Yet Published)
- Out Of Sync
- Print Magazines
- Special Interviews
- Online Work
- What's Chynna Reading?
- Chynna's Gift of Reading
- Resources for SPD, Mental/Emotional Disorders and Other Special Needs
Friday, October 5, 2018
Foodie Friday ~ Vegetarian Thanksgiving Side > Risotto With Lentils
During this time, it's a great idea to slip a few guilt-free and healthy dishes among all the ooey, gooey, calories-don't-count-this-time-of-year meals.
Today's recipe can be used both as a main with meat or vegetarian crumble, or as a side to compliment any meal. With all of the potatoes, pasta and other starches that are always served at a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast, this dish also offers a lighter option to the normal favorites.
You can consider this a base for however you want it to fit in with the other stuff being served as you can add a variety of vegetables, cheese or other spices to make it heartier. And feel free to use a different kind of lentil or rice. There are several to choose from.
Have fun and have a wonderful Thanksgiving (to my Canadian friends out there).
RISOTTO WITH LENTILS
1/2 cup dried lentils
3/4 cup Arborio rice
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margerine
1/2 diced yellow onion
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped parsley (for garnish)
1) Rinse lentils and rice to make sure dirt and/or rocks are washed out. Place in slow cooker with the water and salt.
2) In a heated pan, melt the butter and saute the onion over medium heat until it is golden brown.
3) Add the onion to the rice and lentils. Cover and cook onion high for about 2 hours, or until the rice and lentils are tender. At this point, add the pepper and another pinch of salt to taste.
4) For serving, have the oil, cheese and parsley set near by for people to add on for garnish and extra flavor.