Lily Wolf Word's Pages
- About Lily Wolf Words
- Writing Bio
- Im Not Weird, I Have SPD
- Don't Rush Me
- Not Just Spirited
- |A Mom Path of Creating Brain, Body and Nutritiona...
- Dark Water
- Blackbird Flies
- Just Shut Up and Drive
- Passing Loop
- White Elephants
- Out Of Sync
- Print Magazines
- Special Interviews
- Online Work
- Chynna's Gift of Reading
- Resources for SPD, Mental/Emotional Disorders and Other Special Needs
Friday, November 2, 2018
Foodie Fridays ~ Conquering My Fear of the Pressure Cooker
I took it out of the box, put it on the counter then stared at it. And suddenly, I was taken back to my grandmother's kitchen when I was a little girl.
She had a very old-fashioned, basic pressure cooker. We're talking something that she must have gotten as a wedding gift years before I was born. She didn't use it very often, but whenever that huge, stainless steal pot came out I remember having some initial anxiety.
First of all, that thing was loud. I could hear it whistling from my bedroom. Secondly, it would shake, vibrate and jump around so much I thought that the lid would explode right off and Grandpa would be carving roast beef off of the ceiling. Well, that never happened. Dinner was always tasty, as usual, and no one had to spoon meals off the ceiling. But that little girl anxiety never went away.
I had similar uncertainty when first getting my Crock Pot, bread maker and ActiFry. Yes, I love my small appliances, but they don't always like me at first. However, they save on energy, time, clean up and cook just as well as the oven. The key, I found, is to find a great easy-to-follow recipe (like the one below), then jump right in there. Now, there is nothing I can't do with my Crock Pot and I'm trying new things out with the ActiFry every week.
Today? The Pressure Cooker. I'm conquering my fear of you, my friend. And keeping the pizza dude on speed dial, just in case.
Join me in my initial use of this handy (and not so scary now that I've written about it) kitchen gadget. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how things go.
Easy Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
2 tablespoons oil
1 3 lb boneless beef roast, trimmed
ground black pepper to taste
seasoned salt to taste
onion powder to taste
1 can beef broth (that's about a cup or so)
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large onion, cut into four wedges
4 carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
4 large potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
1) Heat oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides, season with pepper, salt and onion powder.
2) Pour in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, add the onion then seal the lid. Bring the cooker up to full pressure. Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 30 minutes.
3) Use the quick-release method to lower the pressure. Mix in carrots and potatoes, seal the lid again and return the pressure cooker to the heat. Bring the cooker up to full pressure and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Use the quick-release method again after cooking time has lapsed, then transfer the roast and vegetables to a serving dish.
Video trailer for BLACKBIRD FLIES!
Video Trailor for JUST SHUT UP and DRIVE