You all know how much I love being in the kitchen and cooking. But I also love the fantastic little tools, gadgets and fun things that can either make cooking fun or even just a little bit easier. That's not to say I don't look at some of them thinking, "Either the person who invented this is super lazy or really hates doing this particular prep." I mean, seriously. An avocado cutter? It is so easy to that...however. Who am I to judge?
Not everyone can afford to splurge on the fancy gadgets that span beyond the "needs" (eg: pot, pan, knives, etc.). I know that I couldn't for the longest time. But that's what Birthdays and other Holidays are for.
So here are some of my favorites that I've collected. Feel free to share your own! Maybe next week, I'll go through my small appliances.
Be healthy, be safe and happy cooking
- Garlic shredder/razor - I love this tool! You normally see chefs use this to scrape the rind off of citrus fruits but it works awesome for garlic. When you use the razor, you get optimum garlic flavor as it ends up being the same as turning a clove into a paste without all of the extra work.
- Citrus juicer - These little things are great for squeezing the juice out of limes, lemons, oranges, and other citrus fruit without having to worry about seeds squirting all over the place. They sort of resemble a garlic press (an alternative for the razor above) but they are sized to the fruits. Of course, you'll find the stainless steel versions but I love the more colorful options: a small green one for limes, a medium-sized one for lemons, a larger one for oranges, etc. Honestly, I haven't seen one for grapefruit yet but I'm sure someone has made one.
- Apple sectioner/cutter - These offer a quicker way to cut up apples for snacking or prepping them for making desserts and stuff. They are circular with steel sections (eg: apple slices) with handles. Just remember that these handy little tools cut the apple but don't peel them. There are gadgets that do both but they are way more expensive.
- Spiralizer - Okay, this one is more on the higher end of the gadget list but I love mine. Basically, these give you a way to make veggie noodles. Yet, I said "veggie noodles". Obviously, they don't taste the same as regular noodles, but you can use the same sauces and they are gluten-free and so healthy. Plus it makes prep super fun, especially for kids.
- Pestle and mortar - These vary in size and price but I got a marble one priced right in the middle. You can crush anything in these from spices to spice rubs to the beginnings of sauces and dips. I actually take the pestle out and use it on its own in a larger bowl when mushing up avocados for guacamole.
|Pestle and mortar|