Lily Wolf Word's Pages
- About Lily Wolf Words
- Writing Bio
- Im Not Weird, I Have SPD
- Don't Rush Me
- Not Just Spirited
- Dark Water
- Blackbird Flies
- Just Shut Up and Drive
- Passing Loop
- White Elephants
- Out Of Sync
- Print Magazines
- Special Interviews
- Online Work
- Chynna's Gift of Reading
- Resources for SPD, Mental/Emotional Disorders and Other Special Needs
Friday, November 29, 2019
Foodie Fridays ~ Easy Baked Avocado Recipe
I know some of you are thinking, "Holy Moly! I thought she fell off the face of the earth!"
Nope. No falling. I had to take some time off for a few months. We'll call it...a Writing Sabbatical. Every time I'd get back into the swing of things, I seemed to take a few steps back so I had to force myself to give up most outside things and focus entirely on my health. I mean, seriously. What can you do for others when you aren't doing well?
Nada. Zero. Zippola.
But I am slowly getting back into things and thought I'd start with one of my favorite posting days: Foodie Friday.
If you're looking for a small but hearty mean, or a wonderful side, this is a great choice. I got this recipe from a cooking show I love called 'The Urban Vegetarian'. This woman can make the most delicious meals and there's no meat in sight! Now don't get me wrong. I like a steak once in a while (even if I suffer tremendously after my tiny, four bites) but there are so many other ways to get that protein.
These stuffed and baked avocados are packed with protein, iron, vitamins, good fats and tons of flavor. Unfortunately, the chef doesn't really give a lot of measurements unless she's baking so I'm going to share the eyeball version.
The only thing I changed in this recipe is that the chef used walnuts as a garnish and I hate walnuts so I used cashews instead. I don't think that part really matters too much. The nuts just give the dish a meatier flavor and adds crunch. And you don't have to use the spices I chose. Feel free to make them your own.
Let's get cooking!
PS: I'll be going into more detail about what's been going down around here over the next week. I want to help others to keep fighting for good health too. <3
BAKED STUFFED AVOCADOS
2-3 ripe avocados
a good handful of grape tomatoes
2 cups of cooked quinoa
1 cup of fresh (cooked), frozen or canned corn
a few sprigs of fresh, chopped cilantro
cup or so of cashews (or whatever nut you prefer), rough-chopped
juice of a lime or two
sprinkle of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
*Preheat oven to 350.
1) Cut avocados in half, remove pit and slice the inside in a criss-cross pattern (be careful not to cut through the skin). Scoop into a medium-sized bowl, setting avocado shells aside.
2) Cut tomatoes in half and toss in with the avocado.
3) Add quinoa, corn cilantro, spices and lime juice. Mix well, but gently as to not bruise the avocado.
4) Either use a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray. Place avocado shells on sheet. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the avocado mixture and fills the shells. Be careful not to overfill.
5) Sprinkle the tops with feta and the nuts then place the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is turning golden brown.
You can top these with whatever condiments you prefer. I just added more lime juice. :) If there are any leftovers, they can be kept in the fridge for about a week.