That's one of the reasons I try to keep writing, even if it's just re-editing something. Keep that mind going, people!
Alrighty, it's been a while since we've done story starter prompts so why don't we give those a go today? I like doing these sorts of prompts because they can take you in any direction, inspire you to motivate your 'normal' genre and it's a great way to practice for flash fiction and other contests that use this sort of prompt.
The key is to not think too much beforehand. Just read the prompt and write the first thing that comes to your mind then build a story around it. I've come up with quite a few short stories and creative nonfiction pieces using this tactic so I hope you find it as useful.
Here we go:
- As she opened the door, an overwhelming stench instantly made her eyes water.
- Well, that's something you don't see every day, he thought.
- The silence was so deafening, she was afraid to even breathe.
- He limped into the room, his clothes soaked with sweat, mud and blood.
- It's over, she thought. It's finally over.
Okee dokee. Now it's all in your hands. See what you can come up with and feel free to share.